Planning a home remodel can be a daunting task. Whether you are remodeling a bathroom or undertaking a complete home makeover, it’s important to be up to date on the latest styles and innovations.
Every year there are at least a few new and unexpected trends in home remodeling and interior design.
In this article we will break down the top ideas for 2014, some brand new and some which have been going strong for years but still bear mentioning due to relevance. Read on for some exciting ideas to keep your home fresh!
1. Going Green: Of course this is not exactly a new trend but with each year manufacturers and builders are going increasingly more green. Sustainability has become an assumption in the home remodeling industry instead of an option. This is definitely something to keep in mind when hiring companies to work on your home. It never hurts to ask about their policies and sourcing so you can rest assured you are doing the best you can to reduce your carbon footprint. Some examples of green thinking include the following:
Composite decking is made from a combination of wood waste and recycled plastic. This option makes for outdoor patios and decks that are green, durable and beautiful.
Paper-based countertops in kitchens and bathrooms are a great alternative to stone and plastic. They are made from tree pulp and are highly durable.
The use of lumber from certified sustainable forests. Do your homework and find plywood that is certified by the FSC ( the Forest Stewardship Council).
Bamboo plywood and soy concrete stain. Both bamboo and soy are easily grown and rapidly renewable resources.
These are just a few green concepts. You can easily find more ideas and companies that take a responsible environmental stance, by simply doing some research online.
2. Urban Downsizing is also a continued trend in 2014. People, especially the younger working generations, prefer smaller living spaces closer to downtowns rather than larger homes in the suburbs. People prefer avoiding long commutes and the younger generations spend less time at home. Many also prefer to spend their money on travel rather than investing in larger homes. Retiring adults are also hopping on board with this trend to conserve financially.
3. Aesthetically speaking, bright, bold colors are a hot trend for 2014. This was a big thing last year as well, however, this year’s colors are even more of a statement. Designers are showcasing extra vivid accent walls in colors such as tangerine, lime green, hot pink, and vibrant red. Accent walls are a relatively cheap and low commitment way to add some pizazz to a dull room or showcase certain favorite pieces of furniture. Designers are also continuing the bright color trend down to the flooring. Perhaps this goes hand-in-hand with urban downsizing? With smaller living spaces, a bright pop of color can add that touch of personality needed to make a small space your own.
4. On the opposite end of the extreme bright accent wall is a new trend toward black accent walls. That’s right! Something new for this year is the use of glamorous black or darkly hued walls to add depth, drama and glamour. Could this possibly be a result of recent years fascination with vampires and the macabre?
Wherever it started, this certainly must be done right for those bold enough to try it. Black walls generally works best with metallic wall decor or gleaming chandeliers. If you have a few bright, glittering pieces of decor and the right attitude, go for it.
5. Curbless showers and stand-alone tubs are both popular bathroom remodeling trends this year. The stand alone tub is visually appealing and space saving at the same time, while the curbless shower gives the illusion of a more open area. Both concepts lend an air of resort style luxury for those looking to improve upon the bathing experience.
However, make sure you do your homework and consult with a company who has experience with the curbless showers. If done incorrectly, you may end up with leaks. If you are currently in the market for a shower remodel, one of our shower remodeling contractors can assist you.
6. Tech-savvy U-sockets. This is one of the newest and hottest trends for 2014. The modern family, bachelor, single lady, and kiddo all have one thing in common: we need our gadgets and we need them to be charged up and ready to go. The U-socket is an outlet with the addition of two built in USB ports.
This says a lot about how much our technology has changed. While the U-socket is a brand new design concept for 2014, they are sure to one day be a common accoutrement in any home. Soon to be gone are the days of the old socket outlet.
Remodeling Tip Blog
Recent bathroom and shower articles: Basin Buying Tips | Toilets and Bidets | Shower Choices and Styles | Sink Taps and Fittings | Choosing Flooring & Lights | Flooring tips for bathrooms | Bathroom Wall Tips | Designing With Tile | Dimensioned Stone | Piping Tips | Bathroom Lighting | Learn More About Hiring Bathroom Remodeling Contractors | Bathtub Removal How-To | Japanese Bathroom Tips | Building Contractors vs. Remodeling Contractors | Removing Shower Walls | Mosaic Tile Installation | Cabinet Ideas | Bathroom Fixtures | Tampa Shower Tips | Boston Shower Remodeling | Seattle Shower Remodeling | Sacramento Shower Remodeling | San Antonio Shower Remodeling | San Jose Shower Remodeling |
Indianapolis | Jacksonville | Staten Island Shower Remodeling | Colleyville Kitchen Remodelers | Provo Bathroom Remodeling | Charlotte | Fairview TX Tree Trimming |